A Process Design and Optimization Method for Dynamic Performance and Demand Side Management
- Process Systems Engineering
- Focus/Key Topic:
Description of the thesis:
As more renewable energy sources are introduced to the electricity grid, the availability of electricity and its price become more volatile. The change of the electricity price provides incentives for energy-intensive industrial process to actively manage their electricity consumption. This is referred to as demand side management (DSM). However, many industrial process are not designed for frequent load changes but for an efficient steady state operation.
Consequently, the main research objective of this master thesis is to work out a framework for the retrofit of existing processes to gain more flexibility. The goal of a case study is to elaborate if changes in the design can improve the plant's flexibility and thus revenue.
The design of flexible processes involves the dynamics of the process. Thus, existing rigorous dynamic models of the plant are extended. In order to improve the flexibility, dynamic optimization methods are utilized to elaborate novel design alternatives.
What we expect from you:
- You should be open-minded and enjoy working in a team (also enjoy programming)
- You should be interested in chemical processes and optimization
- It would be nice if would have some experience in optimization and modeling (applied numerical optimization course for example)
- You should be able to communicate in English
What we offer you:
- A highly motivated team
- Always a contact person for your work
- Lots of challenging and interesting tasks
- A possibility to gain in-depth knowledge about optimization
- A possibility to get to known gPROMS and GAMS
If you have any further question or if you are interested in the work, please feel free to contact me. If you are interested in the work, please send me a short email with your resume and grade sheet attached.
RWTH Aachen University
Aachener Verfahrenstechnik - Process Systems Engineering (AVT.SVT)
52074 Aachen, Germany
Tel: +49 241 8097018