Progress in mass transfer simulation for organic solvent nanofiltration
- Chemical Process Engineering
- Focus/Key Topic:
Nanofiltration (NF) is a pressure driven membrane process. It enables selective separation of solutes on a molecular level. In contrast to common processes (e.g.: Distillation, Crystallization, etc.) NF can be operated under near ambient conditions (neither requiring high temperatures nor change of state). Special fields in NF is the organic solvent nanofiltration (OSN) and the solvent tolerant nanofiltration (STNF). In this case, the medium consists of organic solvent (OSN) or of organic aqueous mixtures (STNF). At the moment there are only a few full-scale applications. However, the attention of chemical and pharmaceutical industry increases vastly due to high potential savings in energy and resources.
At AVT.CVT we investigate systematically these emerging processes in order to gain an in-depth understanding of observed phenomena. For this purpose, we use simulations to minimize the experimental effort. Therefore we want to speed up process design for these processes.
The task for this thesis is to extend and improve an existing model in the program "Aspen Custom Modeler". The model considers different correlations between interaction of solvent, solutes and membrane. During the work the student should select and implement suitable correlations and models. Own ideas and tests on new innovative models are welcome.
- be quick on the uptake of program code and formula for different models
- enjoy simulative work
- experience with Aspen Custom Modeler are welcome but not neccessary
- be curious about correlations in mass transfer
- be accurate, careful and independent in work
- deductive reasoning
- experience witgh MS Excel
- participation in an innovative project
- in-depth knowledge of nanofiltration processes
- knowledge of different correlations/models for masstransfer (e.g. diffusion, sorption)
- comprehensive support
If you are interested do not hesitate to contact me. Telephone: 0241-80 29971 - e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org